Central Heating Question

Ideal combi boiler c32 expansion vessel

Had a visit from a heating engineer today (certainly had gift of gab-especially when talking costs!) and was told my Ideal mini combi boiler (C32) expansion vessel needs replacing. Indeed I will get this done but not at an extra 2 hrs labour (£120+VAT) and part (£225+VAT!!) having already been stung for 1 hr labour just to say the expansion vessel needs replacing. Ranting bit over-just exercising my internal pressure relief valve.
Anyhow, my question is: can I partly drain a radiator to act as a kind of expansion vessel for now to enable my heating to function? Are there any issues with doing this?

Many thanks for any advice.


Thanks for the advice and reply - much appreciated. (Ps my engineer chargesn £1728/hr as it took him 5 mins to suss what issue was) ;-)

2 Answers

Best Answer

My solicitor charges £200-00. per hour.
On a serious point, Fit a vessle externally of the boiler, Parts and fitting £150-00. Nothing horrendous. If the trader is not vat registered then no vat payable on the labour.
Do not replace the internal vessle. Fit a remote one.

Answered 13th Mar 2013

pjb plumbing & heating

Member since 17 Apr 2012

Get someone else to pump up the expansion vessel with a car foot pump, needs to go to 1 bar of air. works every time.
make sure the boiler pressure is at zero when you do this & and with a open end.
Or go to the top rad of your house and trap air onto a rad by closing off both side of the rad then drain about half a bucket of water,
then open up both rad valves and you have trapped the air in the rad.
this also works.

Answered 19th Mar 2013

Full Flame

Member since 31 May 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Heating Engineers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions