Electrical Question

Rewiring an unoccupied 3 bed house. how long and how can i get the work inspected.

Having a 3 bed house rewired. I am not living there at the moment but there is furniture (no carpet).

So far it has taken 2 electricians 2 months and it's still not finished. They have also damaged all my furniture.

Who can I get to inspect the work? I'm not employing him directly, he's through another contractor but I am fed up and don't trust him.

What sort of certificate should I get and how can I tell if it's genuine?

4 Answers

Best Answer

it should take no more then 10 days for 2 electrician.You should check his ID registration nr or name of his company in electrical safety register

Answered 7th Mar 2013

emilios electric

Member since 8 Jun 2011

Once the work is complete the electrician should complete a series of tests, dead tests, and live test, once these tests are completed you should be issued with an electrical installation certificate. The electrician then registers the installation with your local councial.

Answered 8th Mar 2013

AJ Electrical

Member since 15 Oct 2009

If an electrician and a labour get a clear run at your house on a rewire thats un occupied you should be looking at around a week.

At the end of the job you should get a new installation certificate and they should process this through their governing body (niceic, elecsa, nappit) and you should get confirmation roughly 3weeks after from them that they have done so.

Hope this helps.


NDH Electrical Solutions

Answered 8th Mar 2013

NDH Electrical Solutions

Member since 21 Feb 2013

Sounds like cowboys, this is a 4 day job for a decent two man team! Demand to see their qualifications etc immediately hire. Its probably also worth hiring an NICEIC electrician to come in and carry out a full electrical installation condition report to independently assess the quality and check test the work thats been done. Very likely to be dfective and not meet the current BS7671:2008 requirements.

With regards to the certificate. You should be getting a three page Electrical Installation Certificate at the end of the job and also the work should be notified to Building Control under part P of the building regulations. If the look like copies phone trading standards or the scheme provider whose logo is on the cert (e.g. NICEIC, Elecsa, Nappit) Please bear in mind that if the work is not notified under Part P to LABC then its ilegal and you as the householder could be fined up to £5000. - see links below for more information.



Answered 8th Mar 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions