Extensions Question

Damage to neighbour's property

Who is responsible to repair any damage on neighbour's property, caused while my builder was building an extension? The builder or us the owner?

8 Answers

Best Answer

Your builder is liable for his actions whilst he is at work, thats why he has public liability insurance! Just because you are the client and he is working on your property does not make you liable. If he injured or killed himself it would be his fault, so the same applies to loss and damage. If your neighbours property has been damaged then he needs to supply a claim form, from his insurers so that your neighbours can claim for the repairs.

Answered 9th Jul 2012

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

You are liable for any claims by your neighbour. If these claims have arisen as a result of your builder's negligence then you have a possible claim against him for your losses. He should have insurance to cover this. The insurer may choose to settle directly. If no negligence is involved then it is more complicated. In the first instance speak to your home insurers if this is the case. Good luck

Answered 10th Jul 2012

Inner World Design & Build Ltd.

Member since 19 Sep 2009

Was the damage caused by your builder during the course of his employment building your extension? If it was, then it is up to your builder to rectify the damage and to reinstate your neighbours property to the same condition prior to the damage.

This is why we have Public Liability insurance just in case these events happen. If your builder has such insurance then your builder, or your neighbour, may make a claim to cover the cost of repairing the damage.

Answered 9th Jul 2012

Bowen Developments Limited

Member since 24 May 2012

Your builder is responsible for any damage which they may have caused unless he got you to sign a disclaimer to say that he wont be held responsible for any damage caused

Answered 9th Jul 2012

The Bathroom & Heating Co Ltd

Member since 12 Nov 2010

That would be your builder. Whom should have suitable Construction All Risks Insuramce.

Answered 10th Jul 2012

NLC Carpentry & Joinery

Member since 2 Jul 2011

The builder.If it was unavoidable,he should have told you at the outset.

Answered 9th Jul 2012

Roc builders

Member since 25 Aug 2011

Your builder should have liabillity insurance to cover such damaged,you should have checked this before you let him start work on your house.

Answered 9th Jul 2012

m w building construction and property maintenance

Member since 28 Sep 2008

if a party wall agreement was put in place prior to building works and builder signed and agreed the he should ,if not its a grey area ,builder only carrying out your instructions ,if it was not due to poor workmanship you the homeowner who should have a party wall agreement is liable

Answered 10th Jul 2012


Member since 7 Jun 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Extension Builders who can help you with your project.

Search all questions