Electrical Question

How do i cut off electricity from a plug i don't use

5 Answers

Best Answer

The cheapest way to cut off the ellectricity from an unused socket is to isolate the circuit via the fusebox. Remove the socet from the wall by uscrewing the machine screws that hold the socket in place. Remove the live connections from the socket and insert into a 32amp connector block. Tighten up the connections and cover with insulation tape. Repeat for the neutral and the earthing conductors. once that is done replace the sockets front with a blanking plate. This should cost approx £2.00.


BBI Electrical (Enfield)


dont sit there in the dark, call a spark!

Answered 30th Jan 2012

BBI Electrical

Member since 9 Oct 2009

you dont,you pay an electrician to do it

Answered 30th Jan 2012

m w building construction and property maintenance

Member since 28 Sep 2008

As has been mentioed already its important to ensure that the electricity is isolated and its safe to work on.

On the basis that the blanking plate suggestion which is really the easiest option, is not suitable, then you are into lifting the floorboards and tracing the wire down the wall from the socket so that the cables can be safely and securely joined below floor level.

As there are a few variables, one of which is to ensure that ring continuity on the circuit is maiantained and that only maintenance free (screwless connectors) are used and enclosed in a suitable joint box, below the floor where future access to them is difficult, its probably worth putting up a job request on this site as this is bread and butter stuff to a sparky. Approx half hour job so won't be expensive to get done properly and with a certificate issued.

Answered 31st Jan 2012

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

take the plug out of the wall. If you mean the socket, you really should get someone who knows what they are doing, and has the appropiate test equipment to make sure that there is no voltage present when they start working. If you ignore this advice, you may give yourself an electric shock, and damage/disconnect other sockets on the circuit. It will cost much more for an electrician to fix the faults that you put on, than to do the job correctly in the first place.
it's better to be safe than sorry.

Answered 30th Jan 2012

Abrahams and Keeling

Member since 1 Dec 2009

Well firstly some electrical work in a domestic property is subject to building regulations (Part P) only a competent person should be undertaking this work.

if a persons not registered as a competent person with either the NICEIC NAPIT ELECSA or others they can apply to their local building control and have them inspect and certificate your work They charge around £200.00 just for this service but charges vary according to the local authority.

any persons doing electrical work without following either of the above can be prosecuted and I Think a fine of upto £5000.00

in short If you are in doubt leave it to some one who is qualified

Answered 5th Feb 2012

April Showers

Member since 18 Oct 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions