Windows Question

I wish to install a window in what is presently a windowless bedroom. it would be installed in the gable end wall, first floor. who would i contact for this kind of job?

7 Answers

Best Answer

Make sure you gt planning consent from your local council first, once approved then a builder wuld need to install a lintel and ct out brickwork, then youwould need a window fitter, finally maybe a plasterer and painter decorator.

Answered 8th Mar 2011

JTC Property Maintenance

Member since 11 Mar 2011

hi,firstly it will need a catnic lintel i expect,so you will need a bricklayer or someone who has experience in this sort of will need planning consent from the local council .and then be coverered by window fitter.fensa reg thanks nick

Answered 6th Mar 2011

kentish builder

Member since 14 Jul 2009

First of all contact your local Council, then you will need a general builder to cut out opening and insert lintol.
Fensa registered window fitter.

Answered 7th Mar 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

First your local authority planning department
And building control
Then you would need a bricklayer to install a
Then a window fitter
Then a plasterer
Hope this helps

Answered 7th Mar 2011

C Glancey

Member since 20 Jan 2010

You would contact ME and i would sort out the entire process at a good price.

Answered 7th Mar 2011

Glyn Keast Building Contractor

Member since 22 Jul 2008

1st of all visit your local planning department. They may require you to summit plans to them. You may need to hire an architect or similiar to summit plans to them on your behalf.
Then if planning is granted or not needed....speak to you local Building Control Officer for your area to see what information he/she requires from you or your builder (depending on size of window and how much masonary is needed to be removed)
Then you can should get quotes from people for the work, preferably with plans to show them and dimensions of the window you want installing.
Window fitters do not need to be Fensa registered as long as the work is passed by your Building Control Officer.

Answered 8th Mar 2011

Dream Makers

Member since 6 Jan 2011

No feedback


Check with your local city council, then call a generals builders like ourselves that give free quotes.

NPS Property Services

Good Luck.

Answered 16th May 2011

NPS Property services

Member since 12 Dec 2010

No feedback

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Window Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions