Ask a tradesman


Our kitchen mixer tap wont switch off fully. sometimes just a drip, bit more recently a stronger flow. i am told this is washerless so unsure whether this can be repaired, or a new tap is needed?

Is this something too simple for a tradesman?. If the unit had a washer, I would try myself, but if the whole tap needs replacing, then I would Def get the experts in!

EDIT: Many thanks for the responses. The tap was part of a Magnet kitchen install 2-3 years ago - make unknown, so have taken your advice, and will replace like for like.

5 Answers from MyBuilder Plumbers

Best Answer

From your description i'd say that the tap is a quarter turn ceramic cartridge type.
Changing the cartridge is a simple job and something that you could easily do yourself if you're able to re seat/re washer a tap. The hard part is finding the correct cartridge for you particular make of tap.
If the manufacturers name is on the tap (or you happen to know the make) you should be able to order one from a plumbers merchant.
If you don't know the make then you would probably be better off getting the tap changed.

Hope that helps


Answered 23rd May 2011

dare i ask make of tap or where you bought it as Ikea taps are notorious for this problem.
easiest way is to replace with good quality ware.


Answered 23rd May 2011

depends where you purchased the tap from some of the taps that come with new kitchens you can spend forever trying to find new valves that fit the handles, to be sure of a permanent job I would advise a new tap???


Answered 23rd May 2011

First solution would be to remove the cartridge which is located in the turn handle, little grub screw holds in place. Take apart the cartridge carefully in order and descale with a solution it may be as simple as that.


Answered 7th Sep 2017

D2 plumbing and heating is bang on !!




Answered 23rd May 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories