aAsk a Tradesman
- Need some tips or advice?
- Post a Question
We have a back boiler with a gas fire. The boiler is decommisioned but the fire works. Can I disconnect the gas fire and leave the back boiler behind the firepace
Great advice- decided to remove both boiler and fire and if necessary replace fire surround - thanks all
- Yejonas 23rd Apr, 2012 Central Heating
- share this question:
u 1 Like
why do you wish to leave the boiler in situ and disconnect the fire? leaving the boiler in place? why dont you take it all out and do something with the fire!
Any gas disconnections,must be done by a gas safe engineer!
your flue must also be left ventilated!
- kelly plumbing Heating & gas 23rd Apr, 2012
u 1 Like
I think I know what you want. The fire and the boiler
are usually (in the case of a Baxi for instance ) separate bits of kit. As long as the flue/chimney is safe an engineer should be able to run one without the other. So if you want to bring the boiler back to life without the gas fire it should be possible. If on the other hand you want to get rid of the gas fire you should be able to do that, but if you are going to leave the boiler in there it will be a bit of an eyesore at the back of the fireplace. You must use a gas safe man for any alterations.
Want any further help give me a call.
- photofinish contracts 28th Apr, 2012
u 0 Like
I agree with Kieron. Remove the fire and boiler and cap off the gas suppply where it is safe and preferably not visible. Check manufacturers spec as to
using the gas fire or boiler on its own,I think British gas don't allow this practise, be it right or wrong.
ALWAYS use a gas safe reg.engineer.
- TKR Plumbing & Heating 5th May, 2012
- New gas fire installation (back boiler and gas fire previously removed) Ydonny_45 19th Jan, 2014
- Can you get a Gas Safety Certificate when a decomissioned back boiler remains in place? Ydaveyk_98 8th Mar, 2014
- Safe to use back boiler when gas fire has been condemned and disconnected? Yslow_worm 12th Nov, 2013
- Gas fire disconnection but back boiler remains Yicewolf 3rd Nov, 2011
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet Fitting
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Clearing
- Garages & Sheds
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Central Heating
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery