aAsk a Tradesman
- Need some tips or advice?
- Post a Question
Extension or Conservatory?
Hi,would we be better off with an extension or a conservatory?
Also, what would be the difference in cost?
We want to add extra space onto the back of our terraced house,either house to the side of us has already extended double height.
One extension is 4.5m long, the other is 6.
We want to extend the full width of our house (3.65m) and about 3m so we won't need planning permission.
The extension will be north facing so quite dark and it will also be in shadow created by all three houses.
The construction would basically be a roof keyed into both of the neighbours (party wall agreement) and a window+door to the rear.
- Yshambler 29th Nov, 2011 Extensions
- share this question:
u 3 Liked
Post this as a job and get some quotes from local builders and conservatory companies.Personally i think conservatories are a waste of money and will do nothing for the value of your home.Extension,every time.
- Roc builders 29th Nov, 2011
u 2 Liked
a consevatory would still remain quite dark as there are 2 story extensions on either side but it depends on what you want to use the space for as to the best choice for you, price wise, imposible to say without a look but an extension would genrally cost twice as much as a conservatory of the same size
- PHOENIX CONSTRUCTION 29th Nov, 2011
u 2 Liked
Id go with an extension, you can use it all year round, easier to heat and will add more value to the property.
If you have pitched roof, put some velux in the roof to give more light.
As we dont know the construction of either, extension and consevatory, we couldnt comment on costs, but an extension will cost more.
- B J D BUILDING/ROOFING 29th Nov, 2011
u 2 Liked
Sounds like you would need a conservatory to maximise light intake ,full frontage and roof would bring most light and would be cheaper then an Exstention ! Masonry walls at sides will be needed for roof support and Insurlation .....good luck bob
- Affordable construction 29th Nov, 2011
- new conservatory law - building 3m conservatory on rear of house which has existing extension of 3m Ylisas_94 14th Mar, 2014
- foundations type needed for extension come conservatory to an existing single storey extension Ymartind8965 3rd May, 2014
- turning conservatory into an extension and planning perm? Ymichael_516 10th Jun, 2014
- Adding an extension to existing conservatory Yscobietobi 13th Jan, 2014
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet Fitting
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Clearing
- Garages & Sheds
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Central Heating
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery