aAsk a Tradesman
- Need some tips or advice?
- Post a Question
Replacing conservatory roof with tile effect?
Is it possible to alter the appearance of a conservatory roof with a tile effect + plasterboard inside?
Conservatory is Edwardian in style, approx 12ft x 12ft and has a dwarf brick base about 600mm tall.
- Ywebbit 28th Sep, 2011 Conservatories
- share this question:
u 4 Like
Not recommended as the wall plate and box section is designed to hold the weight of the structure ie the roof it was designed for. Timber and tile roofs are usally fitted on top of brickwork and the load is evenly spread, what you are suggesting is is designing a heavier structure and building on top of plastic and glass. If you ever wanted to sell your property the surveyor may scrutinise the roof and suggest changing back to original state or removing the conservatory altogether.
You can modify the structure to accomodate 2 brick pillars at the front of the building up from the original dwarf wall and replacing the windows taken out with narrower ones once the brickwork has been done then you can spread the load accordingly with whichever style roof you like such as gable or hipped.
- GBuild 30th Sep, 2011
u 3 Liked
I don't believe there is a tile effect plaster board probably a tile effect hard board .
It will effect the appearance on the inside yes but it will be how you fit the boarding which i think is the problem it will also be affected by the extreme heat in a conservatory roof which would probably twist it out of shape and spoil it , it would also make the conservatory darker,
if you require any further advice please don't hesitate to call on
- Double M Glazing 1st Oct, 2011
u 2 Like
Conservatories do have strict regulations,the main one in your circumstance is the roof has to be TRANSLUCENT if it isn't it is not a conservatory and will require planing conscent.
P.S Ask another question
- Homesure Installations & Building Services 11th Oct, 2011
u 2 Like
I would not recommend this unless you get the conservatory company to give you some advice, or a structural engineers report plus planning consultation from a professional.
Due to weight on frame, and planning laws.
- building 15th Oct, 2011
u 0 Like
It will need calculations as the loadings on the roof will be different but I have done it before, so it is possible.
- Building Design Consultancy 30th Sep, 2011
u 0 Like
Nothing is impossible but by putting a tiled roof on, it is no longer a conservatory so not a tempory structure and may cause planning problems if you ever sell.
- grahame,s general builder. 6th Oct, 2011
- Replacing old tiles roof to metal sheet (tile effect) roof on terraced house Yjozef_29 15th Sep, 2013
- Replacing conservatory polycarbonate roof - should I consider lightweight roofing construction and tiles? Yrichard_568 27th Dec, 2013
- I would like our single storey lean-to tiled roof replaced with a glass/conservatory roof. Who does this sort of work? General builder? Conservatory specialist? Roofer? Yspottysox 24th Jan, 2012
- REPLACING A GLASS ROOF ON A HIPPED LEAN TO CONSERVATORY Ygene_83 28th Nov, 2012
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet Fitting
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Clearing
- Garages & Sheds
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Central Heating
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery