aAsk a Tradesman
- Need some tips or advice?
- Post a Question
Building control help
I currently have an Edwardian conservatory on the back of my house and i want to replace the 2 side windows with full walls.
Do i need building control or permission to do this?
- Ysasa 17th Feb, 2011 Conservatories
- share this question:
u 1 Liked
For a conservatory to be classed as such, you need a minimum of 50% glazed walls. So if by adding the solid side walls your project, the glazed is less than this figure, then it will no longer be classed as a conservatory and you need to speak to your local Building Control Officer. If it's still higher than 50%, then it's still a consevatory and is exempt from the regs.
None of this has anything to do with planning permission. If it's permitted development, then that's it, no matter what you class it as.
All councils work on the same rules, but sometimes you need to clarify certain interpretations.
- Architech Planning services 17th Mar, 2011
u 0 Like
hi,, you proberbly dont require permission but will need to involve b/c to see its done correctly and is save with whats below ground........
- Architecural construction 17th Feb, 2011
u 0 Like
hi, always a safe bet to involve building control,
would imagine footings would need to be deeper for high walls but only a trial hole will conclude this.
- john fenton builder 17th Feb, 2011
u 0 Like
Hi, all councils have different opinions on what is acceptable. As previously stated you would be best to involve them as they would still want any alterations to meet building regulations.
- Assured Building Services 17th Feb, 2011
u 0 Like
The works you describe will need planing permission/permitted development, a call to your Local Authority will confirm this.
- Builder4u - do it all 17th Feb, 2011
- had a garage conversion to a play room,and did not have building regs on it ,can building control force me to put work right, that dose not come up to builing regs Yacfuller 12th Mar, 2011
- Help with Building Regulations Drawings Yranu 18th Jan, 2013
- A garage in my property is being converted to a kitchen with no building regs, help!! Ydaisy164 1st Aug, 2011
- Planning permission approved in 2001 for erection of shed. Should this of been signed off by building control? Yhelpme_76 25th Oct, 2012
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet Fitting
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Clearing
- Garages & Sheds
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Central Heating
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery