aAsk a Tradesman
- Need some tips or advice?
- Post a Question
Is it possible to adjust the height of the hinges on upvc doors
Hi, we've not long had some lino fitted in the kitchen over the top of the tiles, but it now means that the back door sticks as the floor is too high and its started to tear the lino.
was just wondering if there is a way of moving the door up about 5 mm to stop it from rubbing. Theres about a 10mm gap between the top of the door and the frame, so is it possible to adjust the hinges and if so how is this done??
any help would be appreciated. cheers.
- Yohdannyboy 26th Jul, 2011 Windows
- share this question:
u 5 Liked
Hi there, you can alter the height of your PVC-u door by taking off the rubber caps on top of the hinges to reveal a Allen key bolt. You will need to turn each adjusting bolt two turns each until the door stops fouling the floor. However, you need to keep checking that the door still closes as the locking mechanism may start to foul.
Hope this helps
- Stamford Properties 28th Jul, 2011
u 2 Liked
Most pvc doors you can adjust, there is a cover cap on the hinge that can be removed, this will reveal a screw. using a alum key turn the screw to lift or lower the door. Hope you find this helpful.
- T.R.M.Building 27th Jul, 2011
u 2 Liked
Depends on style of hinge if it's a laird type not really but if it's the type where you have bigger part of hinge on door itself then put either 4mm or 5mm alen key in bottom of the hinge the bit that's on the door and turn it till you see it lift you may need to adjust keeps on lock side if you move it to high but you should get about 6pm lift of hinges also you most do this to the 3 hinges
- SGOLDEN 27th Jul, 2011
u 1 Like
if you have flag hinges there is an Allen key underneath that you can turn to raise the slab.
- Midas Installations Ltd 28th Jul, 2011
- I have a slight gap at the top of my UPVC Patio Doors. I can see daylight and feel a draught. Is it possible to adjust the door so that it closes properly? Ygdchambers 20th Feb, 2012
- Upvc door replacement with a wooden door..is this possible or cost effective ? Ypatonas 10th Jul, 2012
- I have internal doors with concealed perko door closers, the doors slam if let swing, how can the motion be slowed to allow the door to close into the strike plate, can the perko be adjusted? Yperko 13th Jul, 2011
- Can parliament hinges be fitted to UPVC french doors? Ydoor_87 1st Oct, 2013
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet Fitting
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Clearing
- Garages & Sheds
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Central Heating
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery