Damp Proofing Question

Bathroom mould

I live in a 3 bed semi in an old RAF house and the bathroom mould is driving me insane!!!! I have lived there for a year now and the whole bathroom slanted ceiling over the bath is completely covered in thick black mould, nothing I do to clean will get it off. Also down the long sides of the bathroom has also got it most the way down. The bathroom does not have an extractor fan and the window is cracked from top to bottom on the inside side of the glazing. I am just wondering what sort of tradesman I need to sort. PLEASE HELP :-(

5 Answers

Best Answer

hi you do need a good quality extractor fan fitted also heat and ventilation will help once the walls have dried out you can apply a obliterating emulsion which will prevent the mould coming back through.another tip would be to pva the ceiling let it dry overnight and over skim the ceiling the mould will not pass through the pva hope this helps you.

Answered 26th Feb 2013

Howarth property services Ltd

Member since 20 Dec 2012

Condensation accounts for approximately 70% of reported domestic damp and can commonly be attributed to a lack of balance between heating and ventilation resulting in a rise in relative humidity. Air can hold more water vapour when warm than when cold. When warm air is cooled, such as when the heating system is switched off at night, it will deposit the water that it can no longer retain as condensation on a cold surface.

A similar effect that can be demonstrated by breathing onto a mirror or other cool surfaces. In its less serious form, condensation may “steam up” windows and mirrors.

In more severe cases, it can be absorbed by surface wall finishes and underlying plaster causing dampness although the underlying brickwork or masonry will normally be of a lower moisture content. It may cause mildew on fabrics and leather and, in extreme cases, can cause walls to be visibly wet. It is frequently accompanied by mould growth, of which the most common is “black spot” – a mould which appears first as small soot-like spots, and which can join up and cause large black areas. Condensation may occur at any height on almost any cool surface.

Condensation damp permits fungal growth. Materials such as wood, paper, wallboard, ceiling tiles, furnishing fabrics and even masonry and plaster can provide nutrients sufficient for mould growth providing the controlling factor is present i.e. the availability of sufficient moisture.

In the first instance I would suggest you employ the services of an electrician and install humidity controlled extract fans to both kitchen and bathroom.

Answered 28th Feb 2013

JW Surveys

Member since 11 Jan 2013

Hi there
you need a damp proofing company to deal with the condensation ,they need to find out the construction of the property I think a lot of these properties where made of concrete slabs not very thermally warm different methods for different reasons so this type of company should advise best.

Answered 26th Feb 2013

Trident Damp

Member since 26 May 2011

It is condensation damp you need to have a extractor fan fitted and the black spot mould treated Tameside plastering services are fully qualified for the job and would be happy to give you a quote

Answered 26th Feb 2013

Tameside Plastering Services

Member since 18 Feb 2013

You need to get some air flow going in the room as the mould will be living off the dampness in the walls. Once mould spores become embedded in the plaster or board simply cleaning off the surface will not eliminate the problem.
There are spray on treatments. Get a joiner or window fitter to install some trickle vents if hey are not already there and then threat the walls with fungucide.

Answered 26th Feb 2013

H2O-Inc Water & Building Services

Member since 16 Jan 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Damp Proofing Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions