Electrical Question

Do i nead an rcd ?

i have a small Hydraulics company with a couple of 3 phase machines and also about 4 or 5 normal socket outlets
I would like to know if an RCD i needs to be installed and what type?
I've heard that 300 Milli-ampere RCD is normally used. Is this true and i would like to know what the difference is between the different RCD's.

Thank you.

2 Answers

Best Answer

BS7671:2008 requires that ordinary 13amp BS1363 socket outlets be protected by a 30ma RCD where the sockets are in general use and can be used by anyone.

This is to protect against the risk of a fatal electric shock. If the 13amp sockets are not generally accessible to all staff or the staff on site are competent and aware of the dangers of electricity etc, then its possible to ignore the fitting of a 30ma RCD.

A 300ma RCD is normally used at the origin of an installation and is there to protect againt fire more than anything else. Its not generally a requirement to fit a 300mA main RCD incomer in urban areas , but if your in a rural area and receive your electricity supply from an overhead line (i.e. a TT supply) then its a good idea.

There are few types of RCD but the most common is a BSEN61008 for use on standard 230/400v ac.

see link below for some more info;


Hope this helps.

Answered 17th Feb 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Hi Ignus Get an Approved Niceic Contractor to to make a site visit you will then get all the information you need first hand.
Hope this is helpful

Answered 18th Feb 2013


Member since 20 Apr 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions