Electrical Question

Are mains operated interlinked smoke detectors/alarms really required?

Cuyrrent kitchen extension is being replaced by any energy efficient version (ie same footprint, less glass, cavity walls) and building regs drawn up say that we need to have 'Mains operated interlinked smoke detectors/alarms installed on each floor'

Is this really truly. Does rest of house have to be ripped apart to get wiring in for these when habitable spaces/fire exits are not being changed in any way?

2 Answers

Best Answer

Why not use wireless radio interlinked smoke alarms instead?

See; http://www.safelincs.co.uk/smoke-alarms/

Answered 13th Feb 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

You will also need an inter linked heat detector if your kitchen opens into the lounge or another room.

Answered 14th Feb 2013


Member since 20 Apr 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions