Electrical Question

Flooded electricals

My bathroom flooded and water drained through a spotlight fitting just outside my kitchen below. Am sure it also trickled down a stud wall that has the kitchen light switch (not linked to the draining spot light) as when I turned it on I received a shock so immediately turned it off with a wooden spoon but then heard crackling. Have turned off all downstairs electrical lighting via fuse board. A friend (DIY enthusiast) said I could leave it to dry out for a couple of days and try testing again but I want to make sure as have kids and don't want to take any risks. All in all damage looks minimal (ie. water stains on ceiling, which I can repaint) so would like to avoid insurance company if I can.

2 Answers

Best Answer

Hi Barney,

I would encourage you immediately to find an electrician to check this out. It could have caused damage to the wiring from shorting out. If something like this happens it's never a good idea to just leave it to dry out. You probably won't have to go through the insurance if you're willing to pay for someone to come in.

Thanks,

Sam

Answered 11th Feb 2013

Brightly Does It Electrical

Member since 6 Feb 2013

You need to hire a registered electrician and get an Electrical Installation Condition Report carried out asap. This will highlight if there is any lasting damage or not.

Answered 11th Feb 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions