Restoration & Refurbishment Question

Crumbling masonary.

Hi, can you help,. I have just replaced one leg of an exterior door frame, thats the woodwork done but i am holding off from applying mastic/pointing as the many years of water penitration has left the stone jamb in a poor state. It is severly crumbling/flaking. Is there any way of stabilizing the area before pointing perhaps with sand and cement and then applying trowel mastic.
cheers, Bruce.

1 Answer

Best Answer

You could scrape all the loose stone off , then apply stone/masonry sealant & then mastic to it provided it looks acceptable .
If not go to your local building supplies , explain the problem & ask them to recommend a mortar or resin type finish that would do the trick.
Another alternative is to cut back the stone get a new piece to match from a reclamation yard then fix it over the old .
It's difficult to be any more precise without seeing it.

Answered 12th Feb 2013

Norjan Properties Ltd

Member since 20 Jan 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Restoration & Refurb Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions