Ask a tradesman


Do i need planning permission and what might be approximate cost

I have bought a house which has a bedroom above the garage. I would like to extend the bed room to the full length above the garage. The bed room roof need extended for this purpose.

4 Answers from MyBuilder Extension Builders

Best Answer

I would suggest that you contact your local planning authority and ask them as councils vary from place to place, If they o/k it you will need to have plans drawn up for planning and building regulations (seperate departments and costs), then you can post a job on this site to get quotes , regards Terry.


Answered 13th May 2011

yes probably cost plans about£400 council fees£400 hpoe this helps regards Neil


Answered 13th May 2011

In these cases you should always contact your local planning Authority
I suggest that you phone between 1 and 3 anask the Duty Planning Officer
It should fall under permitted Development which allows you to go up to the eaves as long as you are far enough away from your neighbours
For more detail on permitted development ther is a great guide on the Governments planning portal


Answered 14th May 2011

phone your local council ask for planing costs may vary from council to council you must submit plans for regs and approval once passed there is a standard charge which covers all your visits from the council as the job progreses 400 to450 usually this covers a visit by an officialat each stage of the job hope this helps ian 9 6 11


Answered 9th Jun 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories