Electrical Question

Fuse box

I am currently going through a part ex with a house builder. One of the conditions of the part ex is that I need to supply a electrical safety certificate. I have contacted the sparky which the house builder recommend and he asked about the fuse board in our house. I told him it has fuses rather than trip switches although it does have master trip (if that makes sense!)

He has told me this will need to be replaced before his inspection otherwise the certificate would not be issued due to the fuses not being to BS standard.

the house us around 17 years old


Just got home and checked the fuse box. They are push in fuses with an on/off switch and to the side although separate from the main fuse box is a box which looks like there is a trip switch on that.
We did have a conservatory replaced with electrical points in which has a main trip switch fitted.
Thanks for the help so far

2 Answers

Best Answer

Sounds like you are being conned! Old rewireable fuses are to BS3036 which is a standard that is still permitted and therefore they can be used!

Avoid using the housebuilders electrician and hire an NICEIC registered electrician to carry out an "Electrical Installation Condition Report" (EICR) for you. (should cost about £100) - see links to leaflets below for more information;

If you look at the last leaflet, the electricity safety council actually recommend having a test carried out first before you even change the fusebox, even then thats only on the basis that you actually decide to change it all!






If they are plug in circuit breakers with a small red test button on them then they are not BS3036 fuses but either BS3871 or BSEN60898 MCB's. Both perfectly safe and serviceable for continued use.

Hope this helps, please click on "like" if it does.

Answered 4th Feb 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

incorrect if the fuses complied with the regs that were current at the time of installation it does not need replacing. if you require any electrical work doing in the property, the new work would need to comply with current legislation, the existing fuseboard may not meet the standards required to carry out the new work.
hope this helps

Answered 4th Feb 2013

M A Evans

Member since 2 Nov 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions