Ask a tradesman

Central Heating

How to change boiler's timer ?


I live in a flat therefore uses electricity for both water heating and radiators. I have a conventional Telford Stainless boiler. There is a manual timer on the wall close to the boiler. The timer is set to heat water for about 4 hours in the morning, daily.

Today I got back from work and was trying to store something in the storeroom, where the boiler and the mcb unit are also located. I realised that one of two fuse/switch for water heating in the mcb unit is off. I proceed to turn it on and suddenly the timer for the boiler blow up.

I am now not sure whether the water will be heated.

Please could someone suggest the best procedures to get this fixed?

I will be utterly grateful .

Thank you in advance.


5 Answers from MyBuilder Heating Engineers

Best Answer


from you description problem can be with your immersion heaters. Further inspection will be required to exactly diagnose your issue.



Answered 18th Feb 2011

Hello Ray,

A couple of years ago there was a recall on 7 types of Greenbrook immersion heater timers that could in some instances cause a fire. If you have a Greenbrook unit, you can get them to come out and replace it free of charge. See link below

A warning has been issued about a potentially dangerous immersion heater timer, following a fire.

Devon County Council Trading Standards officers were called to a property in Woodbury, East Devon, following a small fire involving one of the timer switches. No one was hurt in the incident, but a Trading Standards investigation is now under way and officers want to alert consumers who may have bought a Greenbrook Electrical Wired- in Timer.

There has been a product recall on seven models of the device, which are typically used with hot water immersion heaters.


Answered 18th Feb 2011

It could be your heating element in the cylinder, if that is the case any plumber or savvy electrician can change it fairly inexpensively. I am not sure what would have caused "the timer to blow up"


Answered 18th Feb 2011

Try calling an electrician.


Answered 18th Feb 2011

hi ray
i would get a good electrician at first to check your electrics...
i have worked at propertys before with these cylinders and i have to admit there not my favourite.
speak to the company they will have there own recomended service engineers that could help you with all the spares required to get you going again..


Answered 18th Feb 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories