Ask a tradesman


Removing cracked render

We are considering buying a detached 4 bedroom, 2 storey Victorian Cottage, with a 1970s extension. Both the old and the newer part of the building have been rendered, but the render is old and has a lot of mainly vertical cracks in it, as well as rusty nail marks and crumbling render on the corners and some edges. Do you think it would be better to just remove the render and re-do it, or would it be out of the question to remove it and expose the bricks underneath (or maybe even apply new insulation/bricks on the 1970s part, which must have been rendered from new.)

2 Answers from MyBuilder Plasterers

Best Answer

Knock it off and paint the brick with SBR and re-render it. Put water proofer in the render mix.


Answered 29th Jan 2013

short term fix- patch render.
long term fix- hack off all render to expose brick work, EML brick work (Metallic larthe). Scratch coat to have waterproofer in then followed by a top coat.


Answered 30th Jan 2013

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories