Electrical Question

Safety certificate

I'm a first time landlord and need some sort of certificate for the electricity, presumabley to certify its safety. Could someone tell me what it's called and who can do this please?

3 Answers

You need an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) visit the link below and download the free Landlords Electrical Safety guide. It contains everything you need to know.

An EICR takes about 2 -3 hours to carry out depending on the size of the property and costs around £90. Beware that some electricioans will offer a Visual Condition Report. This is a basic 30min visual examination and not a thorough test and inspection.


Answered 27th Jan 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

It is called a condition Report and can be carried out by a competent electrician. Your agent may need a specefic report, by an Approved Electrical Contractor. If posting for a quote on this site, it may be a good idea to give a rough estimate of how many circuits and fuse boxes there are to be tested.

Answered 27th Jan 2013

Energy Saving Installations and Electrical Services

Member since 17 Jan 2013


It is important to ensure that all electrical appliances and fittings within the property are safe and in good working order. Unlike gas regulations, there is no law that says you must have a Landlord Electrical Safety Certificate. But, should any electrical fittings or appliances within your rental property cause harm to a tenant you could be held liable.

Hope this helps.

Titanium Trades

Answered 27th Jan 2013

Titanium Trades

Member since 21 Jan 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions