Windows Question

Windows diy repair

Please can someone advise on how to:
1) change gasket and seal around UPVC double glazed windows
2) How to create a drainage hole in sill from outside (and can I do it on a middle panel extra large panel which I can't open? Its upstairs so i'll have to reach round from one of the smaller side windows)
3) if i create water drain holes and maybe fit trickle vent will this stop damp and mildew issues forming up walls and around windows/ lendth of bay poles?

I'm trying to see if I can repair before having to pay to replace.

Thank you

1 Answer

Best Answer

1) The gaskets can be changed if the window isn't too new it will be easier, the rubber can be eased out with a flat but non sharp object ie a butter knife, take this to a window manufacturer and see if they can supply some of the same size as there are many different types but most are compatible, when installing new gasket if it is dry use a glass cleaner or fairy to help install, always squash it together so when it gets hot it doesn't shrink.

2) do not create drainage through cill. only through the frame itself, there should be holes already but maybe blocked so just copy and make more or clean holes if possible (don't penetrate cill.)

3) drain holes will help and yes to trickle vent but you need to make sure the silicone on the edge outside is OK and not retracted away from surfaces, maybe add more and also check (if upstairs window) the immediate roof above window in case of an issue with roofing felt or damaged tiles, as per usual water gets everywhere and its a case of trial and error until solved.

Good luck and i hope this helps, Alan Jolliff, Complete Weatherseal Solutions

Answered 5th Feb 2013

Complete Weatherseal Solutions

Member since 5 Feb 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Window Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions