Damp Proofing Question

How to fix damp, mould, cracks and flakey plaster

We have a 1930's property and we have recently found several areas inside the property (both floors on external walls) where the walls and skirting are damp to touch. There are some areas that have mould and there is a lot of flakey and soft plaster on and around the ceilings on the upper floor rooms. We suspected the gutters may be overflowing so these have recently been cleared and we planned to get a dehumidifier. We want to replaster one of the bedrooms that is particulary bad however we want to be sure we have identified the problem. Since clearing the gutters most of the areas have improved however there is still moisture in other areas. I have also now noticed a lot of cracks around the house and I am unsure if these were here before. The cracks are generally around door and window frames but there are small cracks all over the house. I don't know if I am becoming a bit paranoid now but I would like to be sure that there is not a bigger problem before I arrange to have anywhere replastered. Should I get someone round to inspect? And if so, who do I need to contact?
Many thanks

1 Answer

Best Answer

Hi there
regarding the cracks you have pointed out all the areas I would expect to see cracks around doors and windows because the movement of the timber around the doors and windows make sure the plasterer uses scrim on all the cracks to help them not to crack again but this can not be guaranteed,get the dehumidifier going scrape off all loose and flaky paint and plaster if some of the walls still show signs of damp,have a damp inspection done by a reptuble damp and wood remedial company

Answered 21st Jan 2013

Trident Damp

Member since 26 May 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Damp Proofing Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions