Ask a tradesman
10mm t&e with 4mm cpc
why does 10mm T&E have a 4mm CPC, when it should be at least half conductor cross sectional area. The cable I refer ton is branded "basec", from a reputable supplier.
1 Answer from a MyBuilder Electrician
I think you are getting your regulations mixed up. Its only the main incoming supply meter tails where the CPC is recommended to be 50% of the size of the Line and Neutral conductors.
BS7671:2008 allows for CPC's to be either;
(i) calculated in accordance with Regulation 543.1.3, or
(ii) selected in accordance with Regulation 543.1.4.
Where calculated, the csa of the conductor to be used as a circuit protective conductor has to be not less than the required value (S). The normal method of calculation is by means of the adiabatic equation, given in Regulation 543.1.3
6424Y Twin & Earth PVC Cables to BS6004 are permitted to have a smaller size cpc at 6.0mm, 10.0mm and 16.0mm, and under most circumstances will comply with 543.1.3. Therefore provided you design the circuit corectly and select an appropriate circuit protective device you should not have any problems with earth fault loop impedance or need to run a separate cpc.
If the CPC size needs to be larger or you are expecting high earth fault current or earth leakage current, then it would be better to select a different type of cable and installation method, e.g. 10mm singles in conduit or a 10mm 3 core Steel wire armoured cable.
Hope this helps, please click on "like" if does.
Answered 20th Jan 2013
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- Painted with silk week later with matt vinyl, 2nd coat result was patchy and roller marks noticeable dried with a sandpaper finish. Changed roller & painted different wall - still roller marks why?
- how much do you think tilling an empty room with concrete floor with ceramic tills? also included with be platerboarding 2 walls and the cieling? labour only
- Buying a new cooker with induction hob - do I need to upgrade the wiring (6mm to 10mm)?
- Will 10mm T + E fit down a 25mm conduit.