Ask a tradesman

Architectural Services

Help with building regulations drawings

To apply for building regulations, do I need to provide scale/building regulations drawing, is this different to drawing of the plan? The only thing I have is the plan drawn up by my architect which is approved by local authority, but I now need to apply for "full plan, or building notice" and would like to know how to get the building regulation drawings. Is this something the builders can do? Or do I need to hire another Architect to do this as I am unable to get hold of my Architect. Also what is the difference between, "full plan" and "Building notice"? Do I need to apply for both as it cost over £700 for each application. My Planning Application has been approved but I am not sure if this drawing is enough for the builders to work on, and if not then what I can do

Please can someone let me know. Many many thanks in advance

5 Answers from MyBuilder Architectural Designers

Best Answer

Hi - the planning application normally only deals with how your development appears external. An exception to this is if your property is listed. As you have said, this has been approved. Builders do not generally give quotes from these drawings as they do not have enough information on them but you may be able to get a rough price.

You have to apply for building regs before you start building and you can do one of the following. A building notice can be submitted by your builder but does not involve any working/detailed drawings. However the building inspector may ask for some.

The other alternative is to have an architectural technician to submit drawings under a full plan application. The drawings are checked by the local authority building control and then approved. Approval normally takes about 5 weeks. Builders can give accurate quotes from these drawings and then build from them.

If you have a look at my profile pictures, you will get an idea of the drawings required.

Hope this answers your question.



Answered 18th Jan 2013

Hello Ranu, it is unlikely that your plan will be sufficient for sumission to Building Control for full Building Regulations approval or indeed as an accompanyment to a Building Notice as it will probably not contain enough information for both Building Control to undertake a full assessment and approve it, or for a builder to build from. The difference between full plans and a building notice is that a full plan submission is a detailed plan, specification and notation which is submitted to Building Control for them to check against the approved documents (Parts) of the Building Regulations and if correct, for them to approve. This should then be built to by your builder exactly as approved. A building notice however is simply a notice informing Building Control that you are undertaking controllable work and require them to inspect the work. The risk with a building notice is that the builder has to know and fully apply Building Regulations when building otherwise, as no plans have been approved, the Inspector on site may find works which do not comply with the regulations and request them to be changed. This will then cost someone money! Possibly the builder or possibly you, depending on your contract with the builder. I would adviseyou to check firstly whether your 'architect' is an architect? This is a protected title, similar to Doctor and under The Architects Act, can only be used by Chartered Architects who are on the ARB (Architects Registration Board)Register. Any professional Architect would have advised you of all this before providing their services, which suggests to me, you may have had a technician, not an Architect take your money. You should seek a local Chartered Architect or Chartered Surveyor and see about getting a Building Regulations application submitted. You should also check that they carry Professional Indemnity Insurance to a suitable level. I give this advice as Managing Director of RHCS Construction Ltd a General Building Company and CS Surveying and Architectural Design Ltd a Chartered Architects and Chartered Surveyors Practice (both on the web and Facebook if you need to check my background to see I know what I'm talking about)and as a Chartered Surveyor with 23 years industry experience. There re enough of us out there, that will provide a professional service and do it right. Also check guidance given by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) website and the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) Website. They are both very helpfull and set the standards for professionals like me. I hope this is helpfull? Good luck!


Answered 18th Jan 2013

You don't need both full plan and building notice.Just one or the other.You do not need to pay a builder or architect to sort this out either.Give your local council a call and they will explain the process.You can also find the difference between the 2 by looking on the internet.As a first timer,you should find out as much as you can as brushing up on building regulations etc could help you if your chosen builder is a wrong un.


Answered 19th Jan 2013

If you are working towards a non-domestic project then you will have to apply for Full Plans. If not then you can use either full plans or building notice.
Full plans allows Building Regulations to check the drawings and all the calculations are correct before they arrive on site and pick up any potential issues e.g. incorrect steel sizes. It is ideal if you apply for this before work starts and you wait for the 'approval notice'.
Building notice means there is no need to submit drawings for approval but building regs may still ask for steel calcs. This is the quicker route although it can sometimes be more expensive and does not allow for issues to identified prior to work starting.
Call your local authority and arrange to speak to one of their inspectors, taking your plans with you. They will be able to advise if they contain the level of detail they need. Some architects will draw plans sufficient for both processes so it is worth a visit. If they aren't adequate you will need to try and appoint another architect if you decide on the full plans route. Some builders may be able to recommend an architects they regularly work with.

UK Property Services


Answered 18th Jan 2013

you do need to pay the building regs fees , submit the drawings you have and any time served compitent builder can fill in any blanks with building controll, any info not there (as long as its correct ) can be added via an email or older paper type at a later date.


Answered 18th Jan 2013

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories