Ask a tradesman

Gas Work

Is a gas certificate needed for capping off gas pipe?

I have a gas safe guy coming to remove a gas fire in the lounge and cap off the gas. Do I need a certificate of some kind once the job is done? I'm thinking of when I eventually sell the house.

3 Answers from MyBuilder Gas Engineers

Best Answer

No, you need to be gas registered to cap off any gas pipe. Secondly, you only register heat emitting gas appliances (boilers). Apparently a cooker is not classed as heat emitting. So dont expect hot food.


Answered 22nd Jan 2013


Yes, you need a gas safety certificate to cap off any gas pipe. If anything went wrong with it in the future it would certainly invaildate your house insurance. If the tradesperson you have coming over is a registered with Gas Safety then they will be advising you the same. The worst thing would be to have a gas pipe "capped" and for it to still be leaking. They will more than likely check it themselves once they have carried out the work to ensure they are adhering to the regulations.

Best Regards
David Edmunds


Answered 19th Jan 2013

You do not NEED a cert, you can ask for one but it not a requirement.


Answered 9th May 2021

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories