Ask a tradesman
Fitting a gas cooker / gas supply to it + a few more gas related question
I'm about to buy a property (located in NE England) and embark on a pretty major refurbishment of the kitchen area and therefore, I was wondering if anyone could give me a very basic idea on costs for the following:
1. At the moment there is only an electric cooker which I want to replace with a gas one (well gas hobs and electric oven). The gas meter is about 1.5m away from where I want the cooker to be.
Approximately how much will it cost to connect a cooker and install the necessary pipe work from the meter to the cooker?
2. The boiler (installed in 2010) is in the utility room with its back to the kitchen wall. In the kitchen there are two pipes running up the wall, passing through it and entering the back of the boiler. At the moment these two pipes are above where the cooker will be placed. Will they need to be moved / how much would this cost? Having little to no idea about central heating systems I have no idea what these pipes are for…I think that their route may just have to be altered so that they pass through the kitchen wall at an earlier point, travel along the inside of the utility wall and then into the boiler. Obviously this is just guess work on my part, so does this sound feasible?
3. Finally, there is also a very old gas fire in the dining room which I want capped and removed. How much should this cost?
I know the work must be completed by a registered gas man and it needs to comply to all the relevant regulations (I’m not after cutting any corners where gas or electricity is concerned!) but if anyone could give me a rough idea of costs for budgeting purposes I would greatly appreciate it.
I'll certainly be using this site to find someone reliable to do the work ...once I officially have the house...
In Response to Responses: Thanks Ask Plumping! I know it's a bit if guess work but I appreciate it. Once I actually have the property i'll get someone in to give me an accurate quote but at least now I can budget a very rough figure in.
Thanks for taking the time to respond Livewire & Ask!
6 Answers from MyBuilder Gas Engineers
Ossett • Member since 3 May 2011 • 3 jobs, 100% positive feedback
i would say £300 would cover all 3 aspects.
Answered 20th May 2011
Hard to be accurate but:
ASK PLUMBING LTD
Answered 10th May 2011
Ask plumbing sound about right
Answered 12th May 2011
Maybe it would be better if you had a Gas-Safe Registered Engineer in to offer you a Qoute?
Answered 10th May 2011
Hi Deni_93 i would estimate about £300 would cover your costs. The pipes to the boiler would only need to be moved a short distance to avoid your cooker. the gas line to the hob is only a short run. The gas fire is easly caped for an engineer.
Answered 23rd May 2011
- i want to replace a gas fire. Will a gas engineer be able to buy the model i like or do I have to go to a gas fire shop.
Im fitting a kitchen with a gas range cooker in an island unit. The floor is concrete. What is the correct way to get a gas supply to the cooker. Im not doing the gas work myself.
I just want to prep the job. Its no problem digging a channel for the pipe but does it get cemented over or does it have to run in...
Can a gas hob and a seperate gas oven both run off one gas inlet.
Hi All, Got a feeling the answer to this question is a firm no, but just in case. My flat I have just bought has no...
New Boiler - can I have a new boiler fitted if there is a a small gas leak?
Hi there, Question – can I have a new boiler installed if there is a “small gas leak” but within the permissible drop?...
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery