Electrical Question

Security light


Is is possible to fit an exterior security light with built in pir to replace an old light, standard on off light switch, in other words just swap the lights over using the existing wiring?


2 Answers

Best Answer

Yes its possible, but if your doing it as a DIY job, you will need to get consent from your local authority as all works in the garden on power and lighting are now notifiable under part P of the building regulations.

Also if the lighting circuit is not allready RCD protected, this will need upgrading to meet BS7671:2008 requirements (i.e. a 30ma RCD or RCBO to protect against electric shock)

Google Part P for more information and do a search on your local authorites website to establish what their fee is for consent for notifiable part P works, (normally around £200 - £300) or alternatively use a registered NICEIC part P electrician.

Click on the external security light on the end of the building when following the link below, then click on the building regulations button in the popup window.


Hope this helps, and remember breaking part P of the building regulations can result in a £5000 fine. A lot of people do it and get away with it, whilst a few are prosecuted and fined.

Answered 16th Jan 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Hi just to add that its not just NICEIC electricians that are part p qualified. We are members of ELECSA and its worth looking at NAPIT trained electricians too. It does not matter which body you use as all the scheme does is ensure the electrician is competent and notify building control. Try and find a friendly local electrician and ask them to walk you through it and if they feel you are competent they may even just supervise the job.

Answered 16th Jan 2013

Hex Electrical

Member since 7 Jan 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions