Plastering Question

Render on external walls is crumbling away in several spots. rendering is 17 years old. is it possible to patch the affected spots? how much would it cost to hire someone to fix this?

7 Answers

Best Answer

not much good news thing is to replace it, you can patch the affected area yes but the probability if several sections of the wall are falling away it is only time before the rest of the wall follows, as with uk weather these days is not good we had some of the coldist winters in over 50yrs. scaffold is need 100%, which ever plastering frim you use. and most of all please dont go for
cheapest and if "one-man and his trowle" turn u to render the side of your 3 story house "tell him you have changed you mind"

Answered 18th Feb 2011


Member since 9 Apr 2008

hello my name is liam the render on you house crumbling away could be down to a thew thing trying to patch it up may look good for a while but wont last if the base cote witch is scratch cote has brown off the stone or brick work it will need knocking off and redoin or the next one is you could fix mesh sheets to the wall then k rend over the top and there are different colour to chose from i hope this helps thanks liam

Answered 18th Feb 2011

Skilled Tradesman Direct

Member since 16 Mar 2010

Once water starts to penitrate the render I would advise you get it all taken of and replaced.The brick behind will soak up some of the water ingress but will not dry out and cause both spred of damp behind the render and in to the cavity of the wall.Best type is TYROLEAN RENDER google it then find your builder hope this helps David

Answered 18th Feb 2011

DBF Portfolio

Member since 23 Sep 2010

Yes can be patch cost depends on how much and how bad it is hope of some help colin.

Answered 18th Feb 2011

Rigsby Handyman

Member since 14 Aug 2009

depends on the condition ,once render starts to blow/let in water most of it could be affected ,as for cost again depends on size of area /access ect

Answered 18th Feb 2011


Member since 7 Jun 2008

Hi, it may be possible to patch the affected area but the probability is that if several sections of the wall are crumbling away it is only a matter of time before the rest follows, especially after the freak weather conditions of the last 2 winters. Fixing the problem depends on area to be done, if scaffold is required, which plastering company you decide to use, what kind of finish/materials you choose. I advise that you get at least 4 quotes and remember cheapest is not always best.

Answered 18th Feb 2011

P.C.Brown Plastering Ltd

Member since 1 Jun 2008

Agree with the above, repair is a short term answer. Tyrolean is non porous, so might nor be the answer. search Decopierre or K=Rend for lime based systems. Bit more expensive, but last longer and breathable.

Answered 23rd Feb 2011

Decopierre UK Ltd

Member since 14 Dec 2010

No feedback

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions