Ask a tradesman
How to paint a wooden staircase?
We recently moved to a Victorian conversion flat and ripped the carpet up from our staircase. The staircase has signs of wear but looks fine otherwise with a bit of sanding and ready to paint giving it a nice satin finish. We would like to paint it grey but we need a quick drying paint if possible and one which gives off nearly no smell (water based?). We would also like the paint to be heavy-duty to walk with boots, mop or hoover, and non-slippery (for us walking with socks).
What kind of paint would you suggest?
Is it necessary to sand and use undercoat first?
This is more or less the finish we are aiming for: http://mostexerent.tumblr.com/post/27476085296/grey-painted-stairs
Thanks a lot in advance.
2 Answers from MyBuilder Painters & Decorators
I would always give it a primer/undercoat to start with you can get this waterbase (quickdrying) farrow and ball do some very nice shadesof gray that would be perfect. and all of there wood paint is now water based.
Answered 1st Jan 2013
i would have a look at ronseal diamond hard floor paints.
it is a quick drying, hard wearing, water based acrylic floor paint ideal for this kind of project.
hope this helps, stephen.
Answered 19th Jan 2014
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- I am moving in to a 3 bed house which needs to be fully painted. Me and my friends were planning to paint it ourselves. What paint is best and should I be using different paints for different rooms.
- A Plumber quotes a estimate price for a Bathroom Installation. Customer offers to carry out help to install. Can the plumber still charger the estimate price?
- Do I need building inspectors involved to add a real staircase to loft converted before 1970?
- How to re-tile on to a wooden bathroom window sill/recess?