Electrical Question

Faulty socket, why would this happen?

I had a double socket put and it blew the microwave now the microwave is useless and only one switch on the socket works why would this happen im worried to use it now

2 Answers

Best Answer

This installation needs to be checked - tested and inspected and reinstalled. It's difficult to see how it could have blown the Microwave and its still working without tripping out your Electrics when it happened

Answered 5th Jan 2013

CIVIL Electrical Services

Member since 2 Nov 2008

I'd suggest you dig out the electrical certificate that you got when the socket was put in and call the electrician back to re-test it. He canb check the test results he now gests against the results on the original test sheet, this will identify if anything has changed and if there is a problem?

cHowever it Could be the other way round! Microwave has developed a fault and the fault has damaged the socket?

Its also possible that the socket is a cheap chinese imported one and not a UK made item. UK manufacturers (e.g. MK and crabtree offer a 10 year gauarantee on their sockets), so if it is a decent UK make you can get it replaced for free. If its a cheap chinese one then its bad luck and you will have to buy a new one.

Answered 24th Dec 2012

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions