Ask a tradesman
How deep and extensive will the footings need to be for an extension?
i want an extension built onto my house to be a down stairs bathroom
1.5M-3m how deep and extensive will the footings need to be?
3 Answers from MyBuilder Groundworkers
This is impossible to answer.The type of ground you propose to build on and nearby trees are just two things that could have a dramatic effect on the depth that YOUR foundation would need to be.
Answered 17th Dec 2012
Wellingborough • Member since 25 Feb 2009 • 36 jobs, 100% positive feedback
I agree with ROC, there are many factors deciding how deep footings need to be but in normal circumstances 1m deep and 600mm wide.
Answered 19th Dec 2012
Building control will make the decision subject to the condition of the soil and other contributing factors that have been pointed out by the previous contractors. This is normally decided when the trench is dug.
Answered 29th Dec 2012
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- How worried should I be about the timber joists and flooring in a new extension touching the wall below the dpc?
- How much work do I need to do to be 'Satisfactory'
- Bed needed over the stair box for an older child - could a mid sleeper easily be adapted to fit?
- Is It Fair To Be Charged For Work That Didn’t Fix The Problem?