Ask a tradesman

Gas Work

Is moving gas metre necessary?

We have recently moved into a property where the gas metre hangs of the supply pipe at ceiling height and isn’t fixed to a wall/surface. I would assume this needs moving for two reasons, firstly, because it is unsafe and secondly because it’s unsightly and obstructs the kitchen. SGN have carried out a survey to move the metre and told us that there policy is to install outdoor metres rather than relocate internal ones. Ok fair enough...,, However, we live in an old flat and the supply coming into our property is shared with other properties from one stop tap in the road. SGN have told us that our only option is to have new metres installed outside for all flats in the building and pay for each flat to be reconnected to the outside metres. This sounds extremely expensive, not to mention disruptive to our neighbours. Incidentally our neighbours have refused to allow this to happen which means we are snookered. This also seems completely disproportionate to the problem? My view is that the gas needs turning off in the road for half hour, the supply pipe cut down to floor level and the metre reattached. Am I missing something? Is there anything else that can be done?

1 Answer from a MyBuilder Gas Engineer

Best Answer

Unfortunately - No, if the you get the Gas Transporter involved they are now required by law to move the gas meters to the outside of the property so they can be accessed in an emergency as well as to be read. In blocks of flat, each gas run will need to enter your flat directly and no pipe work should be run through another dwelling - In the current format it is know as NOT TO CURRENT STANDARDS - i.e. its is still safe but does not now conform to todays standards.
Unfortunately you will have to leave the meter where it is because only the Gas Transporter is authorised to turn the gas off upstream of the meter shut off valve. Anyone else who does this is breaking the law as they will not be authorised to do it. Some unscrupulous engineers might offer to do the work on a live pipe but just think of what could go wrong!

The only other option would be to get a qualified engineer to turn the gas off at the shut off valve, remove the meter, extend the pipe work to the floor and reconnect the meter. This will solve the meter issue but you unfortunately still have the vertical pipe work - this could may be boxed in..

Hope that helps

Jon Goldstein.


Answered 19th Mar 2013

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories