Electrical Question

Storage heater smelling like paraffin, how do we get rid of the smell?

We painted the porch at the weekend with anti mould paint. A few hours later the 2 storage heaters we have started emitting a really strong paraffin-like smell which was so strong it made us feel like we were suffocating. We turned them off and aired the house. when the heaters were turned on again and started heating up at midnight the same thing happened again. We turned them off again after we were woken up by the whole house smelling toxic. We have now left the heaters off for 2 days, afraid to use them and very cold! We have read on here that storage heaters can absorb decorating fumes and then the coil heats them up creating the smell...what we can't find is what you do once you have this problem!?? How do we get rid of the solvent fumes out of the heaters??

1 Answer

Best Answer

Dear Customer,

Normally storage haters smell if it’s new for few hours.

If you painted with chemical paint and overheating the room this could result in some kind of chemical reaction from surrounding paint work (Anti Mould).

Please also check if you or decorator not accidently drop some painting material or liquid in to the heaters.

If you feel like suffocating STOP using ( as this heater omitting CO - carbon monoxide which could result in depth ) till you get full checked done from storage heater engineer ( from Manufacturer) as this heaters could become faulty if its old and some cases even in new because of manufacturers defect.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please do not this is not legal advice but Just and our opinion from experience.

All the best


Answered 6th Dec 2012


Member since 27 Sep 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions