Ask a tradesman
Can i fit wall units onto a plasterboarded wall?
I am trying to fit Ikea kitchen myself. the walls in the kitchen are very uneven. so they were covered with plasterboards. where I planned to fit wall units there is a gap about 7 cm between plasterboard and wall and the wall itself - just bare bricks.
5 Answers from MyBuilder Kitchen Fitters
I have fitted many wall cabinets on plasterboard (including my own) and if you use metal plasterboard fixings (not butterfly bolts) you will have no problems.
I would agree though that there must be some type of studwork between board and wall. Whether you hit these or not is a matter of pure luck.
Just join all cabinets together, they will stay on the wall!
Plasterboard fixings are called Driva.
Answered 13th Jan 2013
Hi,from your description of having a 70mm void between plasterboard and wall I would assume the plasteboard must be attached to timber/metal studwork otherwise the boards would be just "flapping about ".
I would definitely NOT just use longer screws however,as that would just cause the boards to tear when any weight would be placed into the cupboards !!
What you should be doing is cutting out the plasterboard between the vertical studs where the wall fixings for the cupboards are to be placed,and screwing a horizontal stud between the verticals to fix to then replacing plasterboard.
If you dont fancy that,just cut a piece of min 12mm plywood board the same size as your cupboards and fix it to the studwork and use the ply as your fixing material thereby spreading the weight of the cupboards over the wall and NOT expecting the plasterboard to take any weight at all.
Best of luck
Answered 21st Dec 2012
Belvedere • Member since 31 Jul 2017 • 1 job, 100% positive feedback
Pigs tails! Lol best fixings for plasterboards
Answered 17th Dec 2017
Yes u can if u use longer screw and plugs.
Answered 1st Dec 2012
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- hi i am going to fix my 42" flat screen tv on the wall using a tv wall bracket , what would be the best wall fixing to use to put up the bracket onto a double plasterboarded wall
- I want to erect a fence along the garden wall but there are brick supports that petrude from the wall making it impossible to run the fence flush along the wall. How do I get round this problem?
- how do i fasten kitchen wall units? i drill the hole and the wall falls apart, unit pulls the plug out
- I plan to knock through a wall to make a kitchen diner, how can I tell if it is a load bearing wall?