Groundwork & Foundations Question


I really need some help,my mother in law needed a new shower put in as she found getting into the bath very difficult. The council said this would take 18 months , she couldn't wait this long so decided to get a plumber to put her a shower in. This means the bath came out then a shower tray the length of a normal standard bath was going in its place. The plumbers came in went to try and put the shower tray in, but there said there was nothing under the concrete , I have found out the flat was under pinned 6 years ago, the council have said this is the plumbers fault they shouldn't have drilled through the concrete slab. We got a structral enginer out as well and he seems to think it could be bad drainage! The council have said they can fix this for us but gonna cost £20,000. The drainage can't be our fault it must be the councils, but when you know nothing from the building trade its hard to make the right choices. This has been a complete nightmare we just wanted a new shower put in to make my mother in law's life easier, and now all this please need some guidence!!

2 Answers

Best Answer

Is the flat Council Owned if so its the council responability however the council may have an issue with you removeing the bath and drilling the slab
If the flat is leasehold speak to the leaseholder
If the flat is freehold you may have a claim against the Local Authority who did the underpinning for laten defects
It would apper that either the underpinning was not done correctly or the sub structure has moved possible leaving the G/floor slab unsupported as your engineer has stated could be leaking / broken drain leaking water main or ground water washing the fill away
What you have to establish is who owns the structure
Hope this helps

Answered 29th Nov 2012

john albrighton

Member since 14 Apr 2009

If they have already drilled through concrete its simple, employ a groundworks company to excavate beside the underpins near the drain outlet and connect 4" Osama plastic drainage running into a small insp chamber then run into your existing foul or storm (surface water ) drain run , this is relatively simple as long as the slab is reinforced you can make a hole in it, plumbers don't like the look of hard work, we would happily do this work for a fraction of the price the council are quoting, if u don't have any drainage at all we can also run it into the nearest available drain run, we would be happy to help you. Gilded groundworks.

Answered 25th Feb 2013

gilded groundworks

Member since 19 Feb 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Groundworkers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions