Windows Question

Condensation in double glazing - what are the solutions?

Just moved in to a house which has a number of windows with condensation between the glass panels. Can they be cleaned or do they require replacing? Thanks.

12 Answers

Best Answer

There is a process that is proven to remove condensation from double glazed units, if you would like further information or web site address please let me know and I will forward it to you.

Answered 3rd May 2011

Enviro Property Solutions

Member since 18 Sep 2010

If you have condensation between the glass (double glazing), it means your units have broken down, best to get a window fitter out to measure up for new units, he will need to remove a couple of beads to also measure thickness of glass.
Although some window firms have a device for this.

Answered 3rd May 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

hi, re: double glazing condensation, the seals have broken and you will need to purchase new glass units to fit the original windows.


Answered 3rd May 2011

arrowsmiths building services

Member since 17 May 2008

the only way to cure this is to replace the glazing units, the frames will be o/k, post a job on this site and get several quotes from tradespeople in your location,regards Terry.

Answered 3rd May 2011

tm property services

Member since 9 Mar 2011


It does sound like the seals have gone on the units which means they will need replacing

Most companies do give a 5 year guarantee when they supply new double glazed units, I would check this. This covers when there is condensation in double glazing.

You can still get condensation on the units where they can still be ok this usually happens when clothes are being dried in a room when it is cold and wet outside.

You can get information from Pilkington K glass site just put in condensation and it will give you good information.

NPS Property Services

Answered 16th May 2011

NPS Property services

Member since 12 Dec 2010

No feedback

i am not an expert on double glazing condensation but i think you may need to replace these units ..not much help ..but good luck

Answered 3rd May 2011


Member since 30 Sep 2008

hi ,if there is condensation in double glazing the seals on your units have gone or there is a small crack in the glass, either way you would probably be better off (and cheaper) replacing them.

Answered 3rd May 2011

frank thompson joinery&building services

Member since 5 Apr 2009

the glass units have failed unfortunately they will need to be replaced ( just the glass that is.)

Answered 3rd May 2011

Tony Coleman Roofing & Building

Member since 7 Jul 2008

The only solution is to replace the glass units. Many suppliers offer long guarantees on their windows so if you could find out when & who they were supplied by they may still be under guarantee.

Answered 3rd May 2011

KC Building Services

Member since 24 Jan 2011

No feedback

hi there are companies that can repair the units if there is condensation between the double glazing

Answered 3rd May 2011

creative carpentry & improvements

Member since 24 Feb 2009

No feedback

we replace units of glass at reasonable rates see my feed back.
dont try to get the double glazing condensation repaired it is a waste of money.

Answered 9th May 2011

Midas Installations Ltd

Member since 1 Mar 2009

there are some companies out there that come out and clean the insides of the units and reseal but i find this more expensive than straight forward replacements. hope this helps.

Answered 3rd May 2011

A.J.R.G Building Services

Member since 9 Apr 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Window Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions