Electrical Question

I believe i should have a certificate

Thank you for your answer.

I have further advice sort;

The fitter said when he quoted me for the job, including the wiring, he did not account for the certificate.

He said he can get someone to certify it no problem but I will have to pay and extra £150.00.

Is it not his responsibility when quoting and conducting the electrical works, he considers the cost of getting the work certified as he must know he is not legally allowed to carry out the electrical works without getting it certificated once complete ?

Thank you

I have had my kitchen moved from one room into an existing extension and the company have rewired a new ring! also new isolated switches for the electric hob and oven, various sockets ect.
The owner of the company looked at me strange when I mentioned I would need a certificate!

DO I need one?

Thank you

2 Answers

Best Answer

Hi It was probably panic rather than confusion. You need a test certificate from the spark who did the work then you get a certificate from your local building control if the electrician is registered. You can been fined up to £5000 for using unregistered electricians in domestic properties your insurance is also without doubt invalid. Sorry.
Click if that is of use.
That's ok, glad it's of use.
He should morally sort it out for you. You have a few options
1 contact your local trading standards inform them of the builder doing electrical work in domestic properties namely yours.
2 Call a registered electrician from one of the governing bodies Niceic, Napit etc tell them your dilemma they might help you but it will cost a bit.
3 Contact your local building control and tell them what happened, plead ignorance.
If I was you I wouldn't pay him anymore money to him sourcing you a spark.
1 question to you, do you even have RCD protection in your property, that will be a switch in your consumer unit that has a button on it that says test on it?
Elca electrical
Niceic domestic installer

Answered 27th Nov 2012

Triumph Electrical.

Member since 2 Apr 2012

ElCa answers are absolutely correct. They seem like a very professional and knowledgable company.
The builder that quoted you for works to your property most certainly should of included within there price the cost of a certificate and by saying that they will they will get an electrician to check and certify the works that was carried out but you will have to pay?? crazy! I would never certify anybody else's work at the risk of losing my c

Answered 28th Nov 2012

wiz-by maintenance

Member since 12 Jun 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions