Extensions Question

Conservatory or extension

I need to extend the living room, which is long and narrow (7m x 2.5m) but I don't know whether I am better off with a conservatory (3x3) (already posted job quotation request) or a proper extension (7x2) with 2 Ftrench windows. What is the difference in cost? I'd rather have an extension. Would I be able to have one done, (with all electrics, plastering, French doors etc)for under £15000? Thank you

8 Answers

Best Answer

You can't extend your room with a conservatory, it won't comply with the regs. You'd need to keep it seperate with a door.
If you want to entend the room, you'll need to build a fully compliant extension with all the insulation etc. but you can't have more than 25% glazing. That's why conservatories don't comply.
If you just want something for casual use you could buils a porch, that wouldn't need regs, but you'd still need a door into it.
You'll need plans. I can help with that.

Answered 6th May 2011

Architech Planning services

Member since 8 Jan 2009

Hi there,

A budget of £15,000 is about right for a standard single storey extension of your proposed size including plastering, electrics, double upvc door and one double window. However there is always the issue of the make up of the ground where the foundations are due to be poured. For example, if the ground is made up of standard soil then the foundations will need to be deeper to support the structure than if the ground is made of clay, thus incurring additional material costs.

A site visit including a trial pit inspection should be carried prior to quotation in order to ensure that all aspects are covered.

I hope that this helps.

Answered 3rd May 2011


Member since 8 May 2008

Average build (in my area) is approx 1k per metre, so I would imagine an extension would be within your budget.
In my opinion an extension is far better than a consevatory, plus you can keep it warm, and use all year round.

Answered 3rd May 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

a conservatory is the cheapest option but they are costly to heat in winter,you may need planning permission but you will definately need building regulations which will involve plans being drawn up and a couple of months to get,i would think that you should still be able to build one for £15000 and it will add value to your property,post a job on this site and see what quotes you get, hope this helps, regards,Terry.

Answered 3rd May 2011

tm property services

Member since 9 Mar 2011

extension would be a lot more cost effective. conservatorys would fail after twenty years an extension will way out last a conservatory ,the price would be very similar, we are undertaking a extension in place of a conservatory at the moment and that is costing 15k so it can be done
richard groom mioc

Answered 3rd May 2011


Member since 31 Oct 2008

Hi Lorrilo,
I would always recommend an extension over a conservatory due to numerous reasons, the most obvious of them being that the extension adds far more value to the property, you can always add a conservatory to the extension at a later date (and not the other way round) and due to reduced maintenance needed and a saving in heating bills. In addition to this, the cost of making a quality conservatory often exceeds the cost of an extension being built.
In your case, the cost of an extension ranges from 1100 to 1600 pounds per square meter depending on the type of finish you would like to have.
Also, why go for a 7x2 and not a 7x3 size of the extension? You do not need a planning permission for any extension which goes up to 3m into your garden.
Please contact me for further advice.

Answered 3rd May 2011


Member since 4 Apr 2011

Extension much better but you will struggle with that price to get a decent spec.

Answered 3rd May 2011

m w building construction and property maintenance

Member since 28 Sep 2008

It sounds to me that even if you did build the extension (not that you could for under £15,000) the living room would become like a long corridor, and possibly very dark. My advice is to go for a conservatory, and open out as much of the existing rear wall as possible, this would require steel beams, which would have to be calculated by a structural engineer and passed by building control, prior to this work being carried out.

Answered 3rd May 2011

Berrylands Building Company

Member since 20 Dec 2010

No feedback

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Extension Builders who can help you with your project.

Search all questions