Ask a tradesman


What type of plasterboards to use to overboard an existing ceiling?

I have numerous ceilings which are cracked. The ceilings were covered with polystyrene tiles when we bought the property. We have stripped the tiles and the ceilings are in a poor condition.
I intend to overboard and have the ceilings skimmed. Which plasterboards do I need for the ceilings?
I am also going to build a stud partition wall. Again which type of board is best foe a wall?
Square edged or tapered, what is the difference ?

4 Answers from MyBuilder Plasterers

Best Answer

For boarding over i would use 12.5 board the main thing is to find the joist centres and use plenty of drywall screws,use square edged boards for skimming over tapered for dry lining so you only fill the tapered joint, personally i would use square edge then scrim and skim.


Answered 23rd Nov 2012

Agree with Joseph. Don't forget all internall stud work now needs to be insulated to meet building regs


Answered 24th Nov 2012

You could get away using a 9.5mm board to overboard. But to be honest for the price difference I would recommend and use 12.5mm especially if the ceiling isn't totally flat.
Make sure to use plenty of drywall screws (more is better than less) and as above use square edge boards and skim. Tapered boards can be used (they are designed for dry-lining) I just prefer to use square edge for ease of butting boards up when I'm boarding on my own


Answered 2nd Apr 2013

for the ceiling 9mm boards are ok as for the studs use at least a 12mm board. would recomend using a denser board ie fire line or sound bloc for stud walls. keeps the noise down


Answered 25th Nov 2012

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories