Restoration & Refurbishment Question

What is a good floorboard filler?

Hi, can anyone suggest a good flexible filler to fill usual sized gaps between boards, before we sand, stain & oil-wax them?
In the past we have used wood-flex, this works pretty well but has lifted in some places with the movement, and doesn't take the stain the same as the boards.
We've never tried the method of mixing sawdust (from boards) with glue. Is this any good? Do you use PVA for this? The downside is that we'd need the sanders for longer while applying and waiting for this filler to go off before sanding again - does it sand well?!
Another one - using car body filler??
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Thank you a1 plastering. I am using woodflex to initially fill the gaps and then "Osmo" wood filler (or "wood putty" they call it) on top. Its very flexible, very much like putty in fact... Expensive but hopefully worth it! Going to finish the floor with Osmo stain & oil-wax.

1 Answer

Best Answer

there are special flexible fillers for this type of thing your after try toolstation or screwfix they have special things for what your after. i would be against using hardbased thing such as car filler as you will have movement in floors which will cause it to crack. you.ll need something flexible that can withstand 1mm or so movement before cracking.

Answered 25th Nov 2012

a1 plastering & tiling

Member since 10 Oct 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Restoration & Refurb Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions