Ask a tradesman


Electrician has completed work but not given certification. how do i go about getting the work certified?

I have just had the bathroom light changed as it was against regulation, and replaced with spotlights, along with the lights in the hallway, kitchen and lounge. The electrician was due to change the fuse box to RCD but as I got stung by a surprise bill by him, have decided to speak to another electrician.

This electrician was honest enough to say he could do the work but he couldn't issue a certificate. There is a reason, but I can't remember the details. So I decided to do some research into electrical installation certificates and am now beginning to panic that ignorance on new regulations could leave me with a fine.

I understand as the first electrician changed the light in the bathroom, a certificate should have been issued. He obviously never left me a certificate and though I have asked and am waiting for a response, the fact he never mentioned completing one or having to give me know, he isn't registered with any of the appropriate bodies.

So my questions are:
- The work has been done, so how do I go about getting the work certified? - Can I call another electrician in to check the work and correct anything if need be or go to the Local Building Authority?
- Is this certificate vital for my insurance or when I come to sell the house?

I can see scare stories about fines and that you should use a registered electrician but no help as what to do once the work has been done and you realise that you didn't hire the professional you thought you had.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

In theory, yes you could be fined up to £5000 as there has been a breach of the regulations and uncertificated and possibly unsafe/substandard electrical work has been carried out.

As the local authority fees are likely to be several hundred pounds, the best thing to do is to hire a registered electrician (i.e. one that is on the Electrical Safety Register and who is either an ELECSA, NICEIC or NAPIT member)

Whilst they may charge you to re-do the complete job, you will have piece of mind that its been carried out properly and notified to building control, so no nasty surprises when you come to sell the property.

There are lots of registered contractors on mybuilder so post a job and get some quotes.


Answered 21st Nov 2012

If your previous electrician isn't Part P registered then he won't be able to provide you with a certificate for the work done. Some electricians who are Part P registered may be willing to check the previous work and where necessary issue a certificate but expect to pay a fee. Obviously if the work isn't to standard then you would have to pay to get it rectified. Local Authority Building Control teams can issue electrical certificates but their fees are often higher.
If electrical works have been picked up on a house buyers survey then chances are you will be asked to provide the certificate by a solicitor/mortgage company.

UK Property Services


Answered 20th Nov 2012

A Part P notification is not required if the installer is a member of a Part P scheme like the NICEIC domestic electrical installer scheme and as such prior notification is not require. Changing of a light fitting that does not require an extension to the circuit. So just a change of the fitting , switch or socket even when in a special location like a bathroom does NOT require a part P notification. Your installer should be a qualified electrician to carry out this work but for this type of work there appears to be no need for any certificate or notification.
There is nothing stopping you from getting a trade regulated electrician to carry out an inspection and testing of your bathroom circuits and issuing a test certificate. If the work carried out did require an extension to the wiring circuit then you personally are liable for non compliance with Part P of the building regulations


Answered 2nd Jan 2019

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories