Ask a tradesman


Wet patch in outside wall brick work

Just a query, we had central heating done 4 years ago and it wasnt a good service, immediately leaked in several places!! We had the pipes laying into the floor and walls as the whole house was being renovated and I didnt want them showing.

Strangely (and may not be relevant) but when we look at an outside brick wall it seems to have developed a "wet patch" that covers around 15 bricks about 3-6 lines of bricks from floor level.

I dont know if it is a leak in the pipes there or would the leak only go downwards?? There is no gutters or drain etc by the wet wall its just bugging me that I dont know what is causing the "wet spot". Could also be historical but we are not sure.


Some follow-up answers:

1) The pipes are not in the cavity just inside the internal walls or just under the floorboards.

2) Central heating is never topped-up so not sure what that means?

4 Answers from MyBuilder Bricklayers

Best Answer

Without looking, and your description plus the fact you say its doing it since pipes were laid, I would imagine you have a leak in the pipe work.
When you say in the walls, do you mean inbetween the cavities.
If this is the case, it is very bad practice, apart from the pipes freezing up.

I would suggest, cut out the outside bricks in that area, if the pipes are there, you will see them, and if they are leaking.
Best to get plumber/heating engineer out, maybe this site, and reroute them inside.
Although you say you didnt want the pipes showing inside, the way I did mine as i didnt want pipes running under floor or showing was to fix all pipe work to inside walls, batten fixed top and bottom, height 175mm as this was the height of skirting
and is hardly noticable.
Top batten was planed wood.


Answered 30th Apr 2011

best bet is put the job on this site and get a few people out to investigate.
without looking at the problem and all the possibilitys its impossible to diagnois the problem.

kind regards

are there any windows in the area ?


Answered 3rd May 2011

I think that if you had a pipe leaking you would be having to top up your central heating quite regularly,I would check this out before ripping walls about,regards, you are not topping the boiler up the leak is not from the heating system,the water could be coming down the cavity and getting trapped on some mortar bridging the cavity if there are any windows directly abov,you may have to post a job and get some tradespeople to investigate, good luck,Terry.


Answered 3rd May 2011

googley, I sympathise with your query however their is no quick fix solution you are going to have to chop out three or four bricks investigate to eliminate on the external leaf, ensure you chock with timber once removed.
The options of where this water is appearing:- central heating; appliances; breach around openings in wall i.e windows;doors;flume; have even known cold bridging to take place if insulation has been missed in this area; damage at roof level leaching to wall plate and down cavity; dpc has failed at ground level. Wether coming from above or below in both cases capillary action will draw the moisture back up the wall from low level.
Code of practice is to start the cavity 225mm below finish floor. I suggest you chop out from centre of saturated area one brick three courses below finish floor two above this and one above making sure not to pierce any membrane, chock with 4x2 timber. Now you can start to eliminate posible causes. Has dpc failed? is their isulation present?
elliminate the appliances, lastly the water tightness of the building by monitoring when raining. Different colour dyes are available from merchants.
James Anthony


Answered 5th May 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories