Plastering Question

Platering in a bathroom

I had to take painted wallpaper of my bathroom wall as mould marks began to appear on the paper. When I took down the paper there was mould on all the walls. I have decided to put up a skim of plaster and paint it. Is there any special plaster I should use and how should I then paint it.

Thanks in advance

3 Answers

If the Mould has impregnated the plaster you will need to remove it I'm afraid as its in the substrate and will keep coming back, you could try a sealant or special paint that covers mould but how effective these products are I don't know,,,if you don't have an extractor fan fitted that runs after you turn the light off, this would be a good idea, the mould should not return.

Answered 1st Nov 2012

ABM plastering

Member since 21 Feb 2011

the room more than likely is badly ventilated and that would be the cause of the mould . its where dampness cant escape. re skimming will only temporarily resolve the problem.

Answered 5th Dec 2012


Member since 18 Sep 2012

There is a new product on the market and has been available for a couple of months now called dry rods you drill into your wall and insert the rods on the instructions this will help but you could use thistle dry-coat it's a damp proof plaster. But venalation is key

Answered 21st Jun 2017

K Gaskell Plastering

Member since 21 Jun 2017

No feedback

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions