Ask a Tradesman
Gas Work Question
Gas pipe capped - safe to light a fire?
I had a gas fire removed from my fireplace and the gas pipe was capped off within the inglenook. Is it safe to light a fire in my fireplace now? I had this done a few years ago. I have tried to find out where the pipe goes so we could cap it off further back but it must go under the floors as we can find no evidence of it anywhere outside the fireplace. Lifting the floor is not an option really as it's a glued solid wood floor with a hearth on top and would be a nightmare to take up and then would probably get damaged and we wouldn't be able to replace any boards that did as it's discontinued. Thanks for any advice
You need a gas engineer to inspect it and test it . He may be able to cut it off at another location.ie: further away in another room
Answered 1st Nov 2012