Electrical Question

Split supply

I work for a Housing Association where we manage private rented properties. We are looking to take on a 4 x bed property with a workshop area at the rear. The owner of the property will retain the workshop area, but the house will have seperate tenants. The owner tells me that there are 2 meters at the property giving seperate readings for the house and the workshop, but they cannot be billed seperately unless there are 2 different supplies into the 2 areas. Can anyone advise on this please?

1 Answer

Best Answer

I think I understand what the supply authority is saying; if i'm correct this property has one mains intake position that is then distributed through two supply meters, one for the house and one for the workshop.

If this is the case then other than access to the meter I don't see what the problem is. For instance if you build a block of flats, the supply will enter the building and be metered and distributed separately to each flat but the mains intake position is still only one cable.

I understand each supply authority has its own rules; which are beyond the scope of BS 7671 (17th IEE Wiring Regulations 2008). If I understand correctly from your brief, the supply authority want the workshop to have its own supply cable independant of the house so as to allow independant billing, access to the electricity meter and main fuse under fault conditions.

Clarify with the supply authority that they want the workshop to have a new electricity supply cable installed to the workshop or are they just needing access to the workshop supply meter in the house at all times.


Kevin Wallace
Mecury Electrical Ltd.

Answered 30th Oct 2012

Mercury Electrical

Member since 17 Sep 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions