Chimneys & Fireplaces Question

Do i *have* to have an extractor above my cooker if it's in the chimney breast?

Hi There,

We are currently fitting a kitchen into what was our dining room, and our cooker sits in the chimney breast where a woodburner used to be. Do we have to put in an extractor, or can we just block off the chimney, leaving a vent so the air can still flow?

Please let me know what you recommend.

Thank You.

2 Answers

I recommend you ask your building inspector!

Answered 23rd Oct 2012

Roc builders

Member since 25 Aug 2011

the steam will not rise sufficiently before cooling and will cause alot of condensation within the flue. i recommend you use a extractor. also check what length the extractor will force the air along. as they vary

Answered 23rd Oct 2012

jd kent

Member since 14 Jun 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Chimney & Fireplace Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions