Ask a tradesperson

Landscape Gardening

Proof of poor work

Please help. I instructed a builder to install decking, a polycarb roof and decking. He has done an awful job that 4 builders said needs taking down and starting again. Trading Standards have advised I need an independent assessment to prevent him suing me! I don't know where to turn. I can't get in my garden as it's full of materials and dangerous. I can't use my heating due to OSB in the house. Please help

3 Answers from MyBuilder Landscape Gardeners

Best Answer

I'm sorry to hear about the situation you're in. It sounds like a very frustrating and difficult situation. Here are a few steps you can take:

Contact a professional building inspector or surveyor to come and assess the work that has been done. This will provide you with an independent report on the quality of the work and whether it meets building regulations.

Contact a solicitor or legal advisor who specialises in construction law. They will be able to advise you on your legal rights and options, including whether you have grounds to sue the builder for breach of contract or negligence.

Contact your local authority's building control department to report the poor quality of work and ask for advice on what to do next. They may be able to provide guidance on your legal rights, as well as help you to resolve the issue with the builder.

Document everything - take photographs of the poor quality work and any damage that has been caused to your property. Keep copies of all correspondence with the builder and any professional advisors you consult.

Finally, try to remain calm and objective throughout the process. It can be easy to become emotional and frustrated, but this may not help you to resolve the issue. Instead, focus on finding a solution and taking steps to protect your property and your legal rights.


Answered 8th Mar 2023

Sorry to hear about the way your home has been left.
Personally I would recommend an instructing a surveyor to give you a report on the works carried out.
I hope this helps.


Answered 9th Mar 2023

Hi sorry to hear about this one if the part about the boiler flue is correct then he's certainly broken the law you can't cover or divert any flue it's a plumbers job as they need to see weather your boiler has the right pressure I was asked to do a car port last year and this exact problem stopped the customer having a car port because she would need a new boiler. As for the decking if this isn't beneath damp course also against standards but it all comes down to the company weather they are insured and weather its a sole trader or not there a big difference when taking one to court


Answered 3rd Apr 2023

Post your job to find high quality tradespeople and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories