Ask a tradesman
Cellar floods when water table rises
My victorian mid-terraced cellar regularly floods to a depth of a few inches whenever it rains heavily or for a prolonged period of time. I suspect it's just the result of the water table rising (although it doesn't do it in my neighbours cellar) as the water drains away naturally after a few days of drier weather.
The floor is concrete/stone and I've been told there's an underground stream beneath the house too although I've not had this confirmed.
This has being going on for several years now but seems to be getting more frequent and I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about it?
On top of this the bottom of the cellar walls have flaky, salty deposits on them.
Does anyone know how I can best treat these issues?
2 Answers from MyBuilder Damp Proofing Specialists
you will need to create channels in the floor/wall junction of all external walls approx 200x200mm digg out for sump/pump chamber approx 700mm deep 650mm round appature install sump/pump (can be found on google PAM TIES around £500) LAY thin 25MM bed of 10mm gravel in the channels then lay 80mm land drain pipe (coil) available from B&Q around £35 lay drain pipe leading to the sump and cover with 10mm gravel to the level of the concrete,
hope this helps
Answered 11th Nov 2012
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- when i put my boiler on the hot water works on itsown but to get the heating to go on its own it doesnt, does work when water on. old glow worm boiler
- Need cellar sealed from underground stream or high water table prob
- Toilet water rises when i flush and doesnt flush away properly
- HELP - Cold water tank in loft water level decreases when no water is used