Ask a tradesman

Carpentry & Joinery

We want to remove a load bearing stud wall that is currently between our dining room and kitchen. what are our options please?

Our carpenter has said that we can either have a RSJ put in to support the joists above or he can bolt the joists together using 2 lengths of wood either side of each joist where they meet above our existing load bearing stud wall. I'm keen to know if the second option is ok and commonly used in this situation.

I'd say that the joists are approx 55cm apart and measure 4.5cm x 22cm deep. Then the span measures approx 2.65m and 2.55m on either side of the stud wall. So the entire span is approx 5.2m.

Can you join x 2 joists in the way that's been suggested? is it going to be strong enough I wonder.

I appreciate you can't say for sure without further inspection.

If the wall is removed we'll have one room that's approx 5m x 3m and that's what we're trying to achieve.

This is linked to the question I posted on the 21st of April - many thanks for the answers I received so far.

7 Answers from MyBuilder Carpenters & Joiners

Best Answer

With span of over 5m metres a couple of bits of timber bolted together is no good.
Firstly any alterations, taking down walls etc, building control are to be notified.
They will want to see engineers calculations for the steels, and inspect them before covering up.
I cant imagine them signing of, what your carpenter has suggested.
If you dont notify building control, you may have problems, if or when you sell your house.


Answered 26th Apr 2011

hi if you want to remove wall you will need to have rsj fitted. 9 by 2 joists at 600 centres over a 5.2 metre span are not sufficient even with no joint that span would need 10 by 3 and probably c24 timber. you have not said what is above the wall you want removed if its a bathroom joists would need to be 400 centres so structural engineer should be your starting point they will calculate size of steel and any additional support for end bearings hope this helps john


Answered 27th Apr 2011

be on the safe side ,get a structural engineer to design the load bearer ,he will work out and submit to building control ,get contractor to carry out said works then get building control to sign it off that way your covered in the future for resale ect


Answered 26th Apr 2011

Hi yes the second option is very common as long as the new timbers are long enough and there are enough bolts


Answered 26th Apr 2011

hi no you will need a rsj and poss building regs
its unlikely to be a load bearing wall iff its a stud wall
but iff it is it needs looking at

iff its a up stairs wall you need to put a timber joist
above the joist and hang the others from it
thanks tim


Answered 26th Apr 2011

install a flintch beam this is two joists sandwiching a steel plate installed into joists opposite to original joists installing hangers on intersections


Answered 1st May 2011

Hi, another option is use a 'glue lam beam' instead of an bsb/rsj if you want to make it a feature and they come in all lengths/sizes...but joining timbers with bolts will work if they're long enough to cross the span.

good luck


Answered 2nd May 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories